Nuclear Advisory Services
The Castletown Law combination of in-depth industry knowledge and legal expertise drives a clear solutions-based approach, to assist our clients in achieving their business goals. We are a UK based practice operating across multiple jurisdictions as required by our clients: the team will work locally, nationally or internationally. Digital working is the normal method of service delivery with occasional meetings. The principal team members are both senior advisors:
Andrew Renton and Simon Stuttaford.
Andrew is a qualified civil engineer and worked in the engineering sector before entering legal practice. He has long-standing experience in energy work including nuclear. Simon has a strong nuclear background, both in private practice and in industry. He has worked in both decommissioning (as General Counsel for EnergySolutions) and new build (as in-house legal for Horizon Nuclear Power).
Rob Higgins is an additional member of the team. Rob brings many years’ experience working in the nuclear industry, having been Head of Legal and Executive Director of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
Our Way of Working
We will work with you from the beginning to understand your specific needs. We will be upfront about how we can assist, and the delivery of our service including our costing proposal will be clear and transparent.
Simon provides environmental and regulatory advice to clients on Energy Infrastructure projects. He has significant experience operating as a Partner and Head of Nuclear and Joint Head of Environment with DWF LLP supporting environmental work and energy projects. Simon has operated as General Counsel and Company Secretary for an international nuclear services company and has many years of experience in environmental and energy law. He is proficient in all aspects of UK nuclear new build and decommissioning, with particular experience in environmental permitting, environmental regulations, nuclear site licensing and de-licensing. Simon has a deep understanding of the multiple and inter-linked issues that impact on the development and delivery of nuclear projects. He is also very familiar with the challenges and issues faced by the nuclear decommissioning sector. He has recently produced a course in Nuclear Law for Masters students which goes live with Birmingham University in June 2020.
Andrew has advised the Turkish Government and the Jordanian Government on the necessary steps to initiate the appropriate regulatory structures for development of NNB in those countries. He has a deep interest in the Nuclear sector particularly in the development and deployment of SMR’s and was a leading author of the WNA paper on the development and deployment of SMR’s internationally. In 2018 Andrew chaired the Middle East Summit on Nuclear Energy section on SMR’s and he represented SMART Power of Korea in their engagement with governments in the Middle East before SMART Power was taken over by KHNP. Historically Andrew has a deep involvement in the nuclear sector in the United Kingdom, including advising British Energy, NNB (EDF), DECC, BAE, Halcrow and Costain and overseas companies KEPCO, KHNP, KOPEC and AF Nuclear.
Rob worked as an engineer and project manager in various regulated infrastructure sectors for 15 years before becoming a solicitor. He started his legal career as a litigator on complex court and arbitration disputes arising from international power, transport and construction contracts before becoming in-house Legal Director at Atkins plc, where he managed the legal risk associated with bidding for and delivering PPP, PFI and other major private and public sector projects. As Head of Legal and Executive Director of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority, Rob managed the client-side risk of major public procurements (e.g. PBO competitions and CCS Framework offerings) and the business model change whereby Sellafield Limited became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the NDA, with Rob serving as NED on the Board for three years. He also has extensive experience of how public sector clients operate and of the business case and assurance/approval processes they are required to follow. Rob now works as a legal consultant in the nuclear industry, helping clients to put together effective joint ventures to bid for and deliver major projects.
Joint Team Credentials
- Providing a road map for the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources Ankara in relation to the necessary regulatory structure required to meet the IAEA requirements for initiating NNB developments within Turkey.
- Preparing a confidential government briefing on the potential for use of uranium mining and deployment of large scale NNB in Jordan. The subject was highly politicised because of claims by others about the value to Jordan of the potential uranium mining.
- Leading the peer review legal team on the site selection assessment criteria for the British Government NNB sites.
- Advising on the commissioning protocols and process for contractor compliance for the regulatory sign off on the Barakah NNB project in Abu Dhabi (advice being given to KHNP, KEPCO and KOPEC).
- Providing advice on the NIA 1965 requirements in relation to the extension and variation to Nuclear Site Licence requirements for a sea bound MOD nuclear licensed site in Cumbria.
- Guiding KEPCO (Korea Electrical Power Company) in relation to their potential participation in the development of NNB on the Moorside site. Including negotiations with the Treasury, DECC, the cabinet office and others.
- Advising on eight UK continental shelf offshore wind farms for cable array and landfall cable supply contractors. Advising the same client on multiple other international wind farm projects.
- Participating in the workshops for supply chain structure and strategy with EDF in the preparation for the initial procurement and supply chain for Hinkley Point “C”.
- Providing statutory, regulatory and compliance advice to Horizon Nuclear Power, covering radioactive substances, groundwater, water abstraction etc.
- Providing advice on nuclear site licensing to Horizon Nuclear Power.
- Providing legal compliance and core policies and compliance management training to Horizon Nuclear Power.
- Advising on the structure and content of Environmental, Health and Safety registers as they apply on nuclear licensed sites.
- Advising on environmental and regulatory issues on nuclear material transportation and storage.
- Advising on the parent company role and responsibility of EnergySolutions (parent body) in relation to the Magnox fleet including oversight of the safety case issues, security, enforcement and funding risk profile.
- Reviewing and advising on the Magnox Framework Agreements, the contracts and sub-contracts and the relevant supply chain structure.
- Participating in negotiations with the NDA in relation to the PBO and M&O contracts relating to the Magnox fleet.
- Advising EnergySolutions on the effects of changes to UK legislation and policy following changes to the Paris and Brussels Conventions on nuclear third-party liability.
- Advising EnergySolutions on changes in UK Radioactive waste policy.
- Participation in the DECC/BEIS committee for developing a revised Nuclear installations Act and Paris/Brussels Treaty exemptions.
- Advising Boards on major nuclear risk (transport of Pu, cyber security, Paris-Brussels Operator liability).
- Managing major land disposal for nuclear purposes (Urenco, Moorside, Dounreay).
- Liaising with government on policy issues such as de-licensing, de-designation, Paris Brussels indemnities.
- Advising on major public sector procurements such as Dounreay and Magnox PBOs.
- Advising private sector clients on how to win major public sector procurements.
We offer you highly qualified experts, who will bring value to your projects and extensive sector experience to your bids, projects and other interactions with nuclear sector clients. We will ensure and maintain a level of governance on all aspects that we are involved in to ensure the delivery of your projects according to your requirements.
Either of our team leaders will be happy to discuss any requirements with you. Contact details for all of our team are set out below.